Say NO to Tooth Decay!
Did you know that the Number 1 cause of Tooth Decay is frequent consumption of sugary foods and drinks?
If we do not brush or floss our teeth on a regular basis, the bacteria in our mouth (known as dental plaque) coverts sugars in acids! Over time, acid eats away at the surface of a tooth, attacking the enamel and weakening the tooth that causes decay in the form of holes and cavities.
Based on reports from The Australian Dental Association, people should not accept that tooth decay is inevitable as there are many ways to prevent it altogether.
Want to know the DO's and DON’Ts?
- Consume foods that are high in sugar, high in acid levels and sugary drinks
- Eat calcium rich foods like cheese, yogurt, and milk – it helps to neutralise acids!
- Consume foods which has a sticky texture such as muesli bars as it can increase your risk of tooth decay
- Opt for safe snacks such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, and cheese
- Minimise exposure to acid by using a straw when drinking sugary drinks
- Drink plenty of fluoridated water as it maintains healthy saliva and helps strengthen tooth enamel
- Chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva after meals – saliva can neutralises acids in our mouth
What are good oral hygiene habits?
- Brush your teeth 2 minutes a day, twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste and decrease you risk of tooth decay by 25%
- Floss daily
- Visit your dentist regularly for a professional clean and general check up (early detection of tooth decay can make management and treatment much simpler and cheaper)
Lastly, we’d like to remind everyone that eating and maintaining a healthy diet as well as minimizing in-between meal snacking, is extremely important in keeping healthy teeth!
Think it's time for your dental check up? Don't wait and give us a call today 9349 3006